HoloLens 2 Design & Development Workshop
HoloLens 2 is the most exciting mixed reality enterprise headset on the market. In this workshop we are going to learn the hand gestures for authoring that are unique to the headset. The headset is used in military, healthcare and manufacturing environments.
Hand recognition and hand-tracking in Microsoft HoloLens 2 provides instinctual interactions for authors — from touching, hand rays and and HoloLens unique interactions such as air taps.
This on-demand workshop is a two parter.
Nakisa Donnelly is demonstrating the device setup and development process along with unique features. Eric Carter, who worked on the HoloLens 2 on the design engineering team, speaks about the unique UX/UI features and best practices of the device.
- Project Assets
- Presentation Slides
During the workshop, we'll share:
- Introduction to HoloLens 2 headset from developers' point of view
- How to start developing for HoloLens 2
- Hand gestures and hand tracking capabilities of HoloLens 2
- Spatial Mapping
- How to use Mixed Reality Toolkit (MRTK)
- How to interact with holograms
- Design-specific features of the headset
At the end of the workshop, you'll have:
- A better understanding of HoloLens 2 capabilities and its use in enterprise sector
- Device specific knowledge: hand gesturing, interacting with holograms, spatial mapping
- UX/UI understanding of the headset
- Fundamentals and frameworks for MRTK development
- Answers to your specific questions about HoloLens 2 headset and AR/VR development process for it
About Your Instructors:
Nakisa Donnelly’s engineering and arts background combine for a unique approach to XR development. She has designed and developed projects for the HoloLens, Magic Leap, Oculus Quest, and Valve Index and teaches our 10-week online XR Development Course.
Eric Carter is an XR designer who helped Microsoft ship hand tracking on the HoloLens 2. After that he worked on Facebook Horizon with the team that made Oculus Quest First Steps. With more than a decade of prior experience working in game design, Eric brings a creative and user-centric focus to the projects he develops.